Thanks to all 4,462 of you!
So OK, this isn’t the post I was hoping to out up the day after the vote, but I am proud nonetheless.
I gave her a run for her money and while I truly thought I had a shot, it was not to be. This time.
Will there be a next time? I don’t know. It really depends on what the Board and Ms. Funiciello do over the next few years. I will be watching them closely.
What will I do between now and 2014?
Well, I will stay involved in child and education related groups and follow the issues (e.g., integration of Early Learning into our schools). I am going to integrate more discussions of these issues into Trashy’s World.
I am going to involve myself even more in the comings and goings of my local community. One thing that this campaign has taught me is that I have missed the political side of community involvement and will be engaging even more intensively over the next while.
So watch for me… I’m not going away.
Bronwyn – congratulations. You ran the campaign well and you earned the win… and it was nice meeting you. It is clear that public education is as important to you as to me, but heed the sentence above. I’m in this for the long haul. I will commend you when earned and will criticise when warranted.
Mohamoud – great meeting you too. You bring a lot to the table and I sincerely hope our paths cross again.
Aside from the 4,462 voters of Zone 6 who voted for me, I need to thanks some folks who made this possible. Politics is really a team game and without a good team, success is difficult.
- All who volunteered their lawns to be the home of an advertisement for yours truly.
- The friends and family who took time out of their own busy lives to go door-to-door for me. I appreciate your commitment and I will never forget this. Ever.
- Riley Brockington – thank you for your advice and your confidence. It was and is appreciated. Too bad about EMC screwing up and putting the ad in the WRONG paper!
- The other Trustees and Trustee candidates who gave me encouragement and advice. I will not forget who you are. And that goes also to the Council and Mayoral candidates who I had the pleasure to meet.
- All of the folks in the Twitterverse who provided me with endless entertainment, valuable information and a good belly laugh or three.
And most importantly… my family, who has put up with me over the past few months.
- Steve, Stella and Vicky for helping out in an amazing way! Steve and Stella actually drove from Montreal on the first day of my campaign just to hand out flyers for a few hours!
- My daughter and son, Addy and Owen (6 & 3), were my War Room coordinators…. stapling business cards on to flyers and cutting out other promo materials. They have delved into this like a couple of political hacks!
- My 17 yr old daughter Torii, who has always amazed me with her personality and confidence, but I never imagined her being an eager canvasser! She took to it like a fish to water. Thanks Bubba! You earned a nice gift from China.
- And the biggest thank-you goes to my beautiful, talented and incredibly organised wife, Colleen. She was simply amazing through all of this. Picked me up when I was down, kicked me out the door when I didn’t really feel like hitting the sidewalks and most of all – kept my head in check. Those of you who have run in campaigns know what I mean when I say that the full committment of one’s spouse is essential. Without it, you might as well forget running. Colleen’s support was over the top. And guess what she is doing today? As I am on my way to Beijing on a business trip (I’m writing this in the lounge of the Vancouver airport), she is driving around Zone 6 picking up signs.
Are we up to 3 pairs of shoes and a girls’ weekend, honey?
That’s all I have to say for now. I think I’ll be taking Trashy’s World in a bit of a different direction anyhow… less Hill-centric and more local-centric. I was tiring of criticising Harper and the gang… though, if he deserves it, I’ll be there!
So that’s about it for the election for now. When I return from my trip, I will be offering up some observations about the Ottawa municipal election.
The next post I will be penning will be a continuation of my travel posts - Trashy in China.
OCDSB Zone 6
|Number of Polls/Nombre de bureaux de scrutin||76|
|Polls Reporting/Bureaux de scrutin rapportés||76||100.0%|
|Total Votes/Total des votes||13127||4|
This post has already been read 2286 times!