Friday miscellany

Politics

WTF???

I will never buy another issue of Macleans!

John Ivison from the NP opened his column this way:

Without a trace of irony, John Baird picked up the Macleans award for Parliamentarian of the Year on Wednesday evening, just hours after he appeared at a Government Operations committee meeting that descended into chaos when chair Yasmin Ratansi threatened to have the minister removed by security, while Mr. Baird shouted that Ms. Ratansi didn’t know how to do her job.

It was a bravura performance from a Transport Minister who must spend much of his spare time preparing his impromptu bursts of outrage. Nathan Cullen, an NDP member on the committee, said he had to remind Mr. Baird to get back into character when the television lights came back on after a break.

This was a apparently the result of a vote taken by all parties and then weighted to account for seat inequities.

Really?

I would LOVE to see the methodology behind that!

Beef of the day – the Americanization of our language…

OK fellow Canucks, repeat after me:

• Hockey players change in a dressing room. Not a locker room
  • It is a hockey sweater. Not a jersey.
  • The 26th letter? Zed. NOT zee. I heard a francophone call it zee the other day… that kinda freaked me out.
  • It is “pop”. Not soda or soda pop. Although I can give a bit of slack on that one since I understand it is and always has been called “soda” in the West. But now, even national newspaper articles refer to it as “soda”.

Sarah Palin opens her mouth again

Yup – it’s all the environmentalists’ fault re: the Gulf spill.

Someone rhetorically asked on Facebook why doesn’t the msm just stop covering this moron?

Simple. She sells copy, folks. Curiosity trumps all and readers, when seeing her name on a column, want to see the latest bit of crud to pop outta her mouth.

Speaking of the spill…

I haven’t yet written anything about the Gulf spill. Part of the reason for this is that all has needed to be said has already been penned. Another reason for my silence is due to my concern that my visceral anger at BP, the American regulators, and all of we petro-slaves that have allowed this unprecedented disaster to occur.

I don’t really understand what the long term effects of the spill are going to be and I don’t believe anyone does. But I am fairly certain that this us gonna bite humanity in the butt somewhere, sometime.

Gee.

That new conference place that is being built here in Ottawa is starting to look like something. And it’s damn big! I ride by the site twice a day on my bus commute and it’s really cool to watch the progress.

But maybe that’s just a guy thing.

I will be happy when it opens and we don’t have to travel to that dump across the river for our in-town conferences.

Chinese graffiti

It has been a week full of meetings with a delegation from China. The project is progressing well. But truth be told, five years from now, we will be looking to them for guidance. They learn that quickly. The teacher will become the student.

Finally – a conversation between my 6 year old and 3 year old this morning:

6 yr old: this mosquito is gonna die

3 yr old: what’s die

6 yr old: you’re going to do it once one day – when you’re an old grandpa

3 yr old: No!

6 yr old: First Daddy’s gonna die, then Mommy, then me, then you! You’re last, you’re lucky.

6 yr old: Actually Clarence (our cat) is going to die first. I wish I wouldn’t die. i wish lost of people wouldn’t.  I wish a lot of things.

Awwwwww… who needs TV, books or radio when you have kids that entertain ya day in and day out!

8 Comments to “Friday miscellany”

@Evolving Squid
    That’s funny Squid-dude…. exactly what I was thinking re: the ranking of the universities thing. Many simply don’t participate anymore due to sketchy methodology.
    Re – the yankification… I’m just stubbornly holding on to my Canuck roots and hope my kids carry along even a wee bit of this… my own little Can-con policy!
    Re: Maybe this will finally push public opinion enough to actually start demanding research and progress into realistic oil alternatives.
    ROTFL!!!!!
    Re: Dying – kids are cute when they talk about these things. I am also trying to bring them up as any good atheist would. When asked what I think occurs when we die, I simply say “I don’t know. No one has even come back to let us know”.
    That seems to satisfy them.

@Dave 1949
    Not to mention NASCAR, F-1, Indycars and 98% of the drivers on the DVP.
    Drivers here in Ottawa seldom exceed – or reach – the limit on the 417. I’m not kidding. It’s weird.

@XUP
    Yeah – I guess that does make me a MB.
    The rest of yer comment got cut off, did Baird come to find you and then when you started to type the r

@gordon
    Yup – Gordon is correct.
    Zed is derived from the Greek letter “zeta”. That is used in every English speaking country outside the USA. My guess is it has evolved in the US due to laziness.

5. gordon says:

Actually, the French pronunciation for the name of the letter is zède, not zee.

Oh look! You’re a mommy blogger now!!
    I think John Baird just threatened to beat everyone up if he didn’t get the award. Everyone knows the people who work at MacLeans are just a bunch of four-eyed nerds who are easy pickins for bullies. That’s why W

7. Dave 1949 says:

It amuses me no end the hand wringing over the spill done by all of us myself included driving cars capable of going twice the speed limit. Imagine how much fuel could be saved by something as simple as requiring cars that are only fast enough to go the speed limit. hen of course we have to go regulate the lawn mower racing groups.

8. Re: parliamentarian of the year

The methodology is probably bullshit. Macleans is widely known for using sketchy methodology to draw conclusions of dubious value that they widely publicize. That’s why some universities don’t participate in their annual “best school” survey.

Re: Yankification

Where I grew up (close to the american border, and we’re talking 35ish years ago here) people changed in a change room, not a locker room or a dressing room.

Jersey/sweater were used interchangeably. Football definitely has jerseys. Hockey would go either way depending on who was speaking.

Zed definitely. I excuse francophones for saying zee because it’s “zay” in French. Oddly enough, in amateur radio, people say Q-R-Zed even when they have US calls. (QRZ means “is anyone calling me?”)

I also lived out west, and we called it pop, or soda pop when speaking quasi-formally. Only Americans call it soda. Soda is carbonated water only.

Re: spill

It is my understanding that the amount of oil leaked is still less than the Exxon Valdez. At best it’s on that scale so far. The long-term effects of EV were a lot less than the doomsayers predicted. So too will it be with this. It’s probably best if they expect and prepare for the worst, however. Better to overestimate than underestimate that sort of thing.

nah.

If there’s a drop of oil, someone will want it to fuel a gasoline engine. We’re not getting alternatives until we devolve into a Mad Max society.

Re: death

Personally, I have no desire to live forever. Better to go first than last on that particular train because the view at the back is depressing.