…the 2018 World Cup.
As Clegg asserts in this article
FIFA is unlikely to strip Putinland of the tourney, however.
Responding this week after some German politicians called for Russia to be boycotted, Fifa said the 2018 tournament could be a “force for good”.
Putin is an international criminal and the head of a rogue and anti-democratic nation. Grand international events should not allowed to happen in nations like these.
Plus, as one of my Facebook friends rightly point out:
Let’s see now when was the last time FIFA IOC or any other big sports franchise chose ethics over money, OH yeah never.
trashee @ July 27, 2014
…in advance of next year’s Federal election.
I was just cruising through Twitter and found this:
Looking through the followers of this anonymous account, there is a veritable who’s-who of the Ottawa conservative Twitter attack dawg crew.
Same ol’, same ol’….
David is and has been a very effective and responsive MP. And as the next year unfolds, you can be sure that I’ll be doing what I can to return him to the Hill for another term. (7)
trashee @ July 26, 2014
New Brunswick is a province that is stuck in the Dark Ages when it comes to access to abortions. An abortion must be be deemed “medically neccesary” before it can be performed.
And… that Beelzebub is alive and active in Fredericton.
As for the first new piece of knowledge…
I learned this upon hearing a CBC piece about the Morgentaler Clinic in Fredericton performing the clinic’s final abortions before it closes at the end of this month.
The July 31 closure was announced in April by the clinic, which said it can’t afford to continue performing abortions without provincial funding.
Yet, it appears that good has prevailed over the forces of evil in this Maritime city… Which brings me to the second thing I added to my mental library:
Some New Brunswickers, such as Kelly Seale, want less access to abortions, not more.
“Soon as I walk by there, I feel a very strong feeling of the devil. Yeah,” said Seale, who works at an anti-abortion centre next door to the clinic.
Yeah, the devil.
Gotta love knowledge. (21)
trashee @ July 20, 2014
…about what we are going to see as an end game of the Ukraine crisis.
The States is upping the rhetoric, as is the UK. But other European leaders are remaining fairly quiet for fear of Russian repercussions – economic or otherwise.
Putin is in the regional expansion game for the long haul, kids. This isn’t going to just disappear. And I wouldn’t doubt for a moment that he wouldn’t be above shooting down one of his OWN passenger jets as an excuse to launch a ground and artillery attack into eastern Ukraine. (16)
trashee @ July 20, 2014
… in what is supposed to be a big league city.
A few examples…
- No empty cabs at 6 pm in the Market last Saturday. 6 pm. The Market. Really?
- Waited for 30 minutes after having called for a cab to arrive a few months back to take me to the VIA station. At 9:00 am. After the early morning rush. And I don’t live in the boonies like Barrhaven.
- Last time we got a cab as a family to get to the airport for a vacay, I expressly asked for a van because of our luggage. I was assured – “yeah, no problemo”. What shows up? An Impala. We’re sitting on luggage and luggage is sitting on us. Unsafe as hell, PLUS dude does 110 down Conroy Road despite my telling him to slow down.
- Finally, just the other day, my wife has a 7 am to Toronto; meaning being at the airport for 6 am to avoid any hassle. She called a cab at 5:10, just to be safe… called again at 5:20… and at 5:30. Each time being told that a cab was on its way. 5:50 and still no cab (note – we live about 15 minutes from the airport if the traffic is light). 6 am, 6:10 and she comes upstairs (where I’m still in bed), and I jump outta bed and speed her off to the airport (just lucky that the eldest was there to look after our littlest that morning)… but it wasn’t in time, she missed her flight and it threw her off her whole day of back to back to back meetings.
Come on Ottawa taxis! get your act together?
And yes, there will be an official complaint once we figure out to whom to bitch. (48)
trashee @ June 20, 2014
…because over and over I have said that Nanos is the ONLY pollster worth watching.
Here is why (emphasis mine):
- Tonight’s election results suggest that even though there was a general perception in the media that Tim Hudak won the debate with Wynne faring poorly, it had no material negative impact on the Liberal campaign.
- Likely voter models did not perform well. Of note, this same issue was the cause of the Republican party’s failure to accurately predict the US Presidential election.
- In an election campaign that featured many polls, our survey was one of the only conducted using a random telephone sample of land and cell-lines using live agents. Also, please note that we did not use a supplementary likely voter model to adjust the data.
|Party||Election Outcome||Nanos May 26th|
To watch the CBC Power and Politics segment with Evan Solomon click this link.. To see the report by Nanos click here. (39)
trashee @ June 13, 2014
I got it wrong. Very wrong.
I have been following – well, more than following – Canadian politics since I was 17… That was 1979. And, except for 1990, I’ve been pretty close to figuring it out. I haven’t been that far off the mark.
But tonight? I have so many conflicting thoughts. This election is so tough to nail down.
The PCs, with a different leader, may have taken this in a walk.
Progressives are pissed at Horwath for voting down a pretty NDP friendly Budget.
And the Liberals have had the spectre of alleged scandal hanging over them.
So, I’m stumped.
I can’t call this one confidently.
But I will anyways…
Liberal/PC/NDP Majority/minority with a Liberal/PC/NDP Official Opposition.
There ya go. (24)
trashee @ June 12, 2014
Just do it.
As I was explaining to my two youngest kids yesterday on the drive home after school, literally millions of people have died and are dying to do what we in Canada take for granted:
The right to choose our leaders.
So vote. Exercise this right for which so much has been sacrificed.
Just do it, please.
trashee @ June 12, 2014
He’s works hard for our community and is a good MPP.
trashee @ June 11, 2014